About Our Work
Honoring Life, One Frog at a Time
A Frog House, our magical little house on the Erie Canal in Pittsford, educates visitors about amphibian survival through recreational events and workshops for children and adults.
We work with local governments to protect wetlands and establish parks with ponds, and educate visitors about the impact of lawn and garden poisons on life itself.
We teach compassion and compassionate communication skills for the sake of all life, from frogs at the bottom of the food chain through homo sapiens at the top, by modeling responsible land and water use and maintenance.
A PETITION FOR COLLABORATIVE GREENING OF THE VILLAGE AND TOWN OF PITTSFORD, NY
In studying the future best use of parcels 3830, 3800, and 3750 Monroe Avenue in the Town of Pittsford, and 1 Village Lane in the Village of Pittsford, the Town and Village of Pittsford have recognized a unique opportunity to enhance and restore wetlands, riparian and wildlife habitat on these parcels, and to preserve a sizeable parcel of natural open space located in the walkable heart of the community. Residents and leaders have been role models in restoring precious habitat by designating this land as a park, and campaigning for using only Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) approved fertilizers and pesticides.
WE, THE CITIZENS OF AND VISITORS TO PITTSFORD REQUEST THAT THE TOWN AND VILLAGE OF PITTSFORD
- designate these parcels as permanent green space
- craft and implement a joint management plan to ensure the future health of the northwest quadrant.
- publicize the plans for ANY development for both the Village and Town in compliance with legal process, Village regulations, and NYS law, to ensure public involvement in the decision process.
- guarantee that no construction occur within 500 feet of any designated wetland.
- allow review environmental impact studies and ensure consistency between the Town/Village Local Waterfront Revitalization Programs (LWRP).
- conduct an annual survey of flora and fauna in the parcels and update maintenance accordingly
- campaign for using only Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) approved fertilizers and pesticides in both public and residential spaces.
- allow for a designated area of village property to be used by the town and village DPW facility, with the rest to be used as an arboretum
- plan for interpretive signs and an interpretative center in the Erie Canal Nature Preserve, promoting the educational value of both the preserve and the arboretum
- plan to further the purposes of adding to protected green spaces by acquiring undeveloped land on
- Mendon Center Rd between subdivision and thruway (Florida West Property)
- 3750 Monroe Avenue
- twenty-three acre parcel on Golf Avenue
- any riparian Corridor and Wetlands
What Has Collaboration Accomplished?
This board is committed to compliance with all applicable laws in connection with the establishment of the Erie Canal Park and Preserve, including environmental impact studies, which shall be made public, and the Town/Village Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan.
With the help of a grassroots movement led by Pesticide Free Pittsford, many residents have obtained free “Pesticide Free” signs to advance the practice and policy of the Town and Village of Pittsford in using no synthetic chemicals, herbicides or pesticides in the Erie Canal Park and Preserve, adjacent Village land, going forward as a permanent aspect of their maintenance of these properties
Sustainability for our environment is becoming a hot topic these days, as more and more recognize the threats to our very survival. While we can’t make decisions or take action globally, each of us can add our own little ounce of strength to act locally. If we win, the Town and Village of Pittsford can become a model of thoughtfulness and sustainability for surrounding areas. If we lose, it will become just another suburb with strip malls and crowded streets and bad air, water, and earth affecting both our physical and mental health.
Frogs are keystones in the entire food chain as well as bioindicators, and if they collapse, everything above them will collapse as well. Older than dinosaurs and survivors of many natural disasters including earthquakes, fires, floods, meteor collisions, and volcanoes, these sturdy little creatures are now becoming extinct at a rate of 200 species in 20 years (10 a year) compared to previous 1 in 500 years (.002 a year), primarily because of human destruction.
As a physician, I care deeply about the quality of life for all. I totally believe there is hope through collective action for huge changes throughout our communities. Frogs are wonderfully and marvelously made, with talents, skills, variations of colors and shapes that are absolutely amazing. If we preserve wetlands, we preserve wildlife and improve the quality of life for all. Who would trade the opportunity to relax in a natural setting with the sounds and sights of wildlife for all the money in the world? Developers would, but they won’t be any happier.
Margot Fass’ Frog Blog
Having just turned eighty, I am proud, and somewhat astonished. It’s never been a challenge for me to celebrate even the smallest victories, both mine and others’. This year tossed in glitches, and we wondered: how does A Frog House's birthday party work in a...
This little tadpole, Margot, turned 80 on August 9th! Please consider becoming a Patreon of her work -- in honor of her entrance into the nouveau octogenarian period of her life.
Are chemical products safe for my lawn and garden? The short answer is no. They all are bad for the environment, humans, and critters of all sizes…. Read more.
Support Our Work
Do you like our work on behalf of the frogs?
Thanks for these uplifting updates
Thanks for these uplifting updates and for all you are doing! We are glad to hear that the Nature Symposium on April 25 is still happening online.
Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the natural world!
I certainly wish you the best and thank you for your efforts on behalf of the natural world!
THANK YOU for all your efforts on behalf of frogs!
I applaud your efforts
I applaud your efforts in putting together an event such as yours.